Skuodo žydų kapinės - Skuodas Jewish Cemetery

Get Full Access
Klaipėda District, Skuodas County

EN:

The roots of the Jewish community of Skuodas date back to the 17th century, when Jews began to settle in a town near the Bartuva and Luoba rivers, close to the current Lithuanian–Latvian border. Skuodas was historically owned by the noblemen Chodkevičius, and later by the Sapiega family. A settlement was established here quite early on, and in 1572, the owner of the estates, Jonas Chodkevičius, granted it Magdeburg town rights. The same privilege states that Jews and non-Christians were forbidden to engage in trades and commerce in Skuodas, which, according to historians, indicates that Jews were already living there.

In order to circumvent these restrictions, Jews settled across the Bartuva River, giving rise to a separate Jewish settlement known as the Old Town (Jewish Town), and later the New Town community. During the 19th century, the Jewish community grew significantly—by 1847, tax records show 1,872 Jewish taxpayers, and in 1897, there were already 2,292 Jews, comprising about 60% of Skuodas’s population. Despite differences in social class and even tensions between the Old and New Town residents, the Jewish community remained united and well-organised. At the beginning of the 20th century, emigration to the United States, South Africa, and Palestine reduced the Jewish population to 1,310 (about 30%).

Between the wars, the Jews of Skuodas took an active part in the economic and cultural life of the town: they were involved in crafts, small-scale manufacturing, agriculture, and transport services. They established synagogues, religious schools, libraries, sports clubs, and youth organisations. In the eyes of its Jewish residents, interwar Skuodas was a vibrant shtetl, with its market square, distinct neighbourhoods, wooden shop-lined streets, ritual baths, and enduring traditions of hospitality.

The Second World War destroyed all of this: almost the entire Jewish community—around 1,100 people—was murdered during the Holocaust. The massacres took place at the old Jewish cemetery, near what is now the First Cemetery of Kula, and along the route to the Dimitrov concentration camp.

The Jewish cemetery in Skuodas was established on the outskirts of the town in the 18th century. During the Soviet era, it was destroyed, and its tombstones were used as building materials. According to residents, many gravestones remained around 1989, but they were soon removed and the cemetery area was levelled. Restoration work began around 1991: the six surviving gravestones were embedded into a cast concrete hexagonal star, and in 1990, an informational monument with inscriptions in Lithuanian and Hebrew was erected.


General view photos by M. Jakulytė, 2011 and 2022.

Documented in 2024. Photographs by Sergey Kanovich, translated by Joel Suldan.

 

LT:

Skuodo žydų bendruomenės šaknys siekia XVII a., kai žydai pradėjo kurtis miestelyje, esančiame prie Bartuvos ir Luobos upių, netoli dabartinės Lietuvos–Latvijos sienos. Skuodas nuo seno priklausė didikų Chodkevičių, vėliau Sapiegų valdoms. Gana anksti čia susiformuoja gyvenvietė, kuriai 1572 m. valdų savininkas Jonas Chodkevičius išrūpino Magdeburgo miesto teises. Toje pačioje privilegijoje nurodoma, jog žydams ir nekrikščionims draudžiama Skuode verstis amatais ir prekyba, o, anot istorikų, toks išskyrimas nurodo, jog žydų čia jau gyventa. Siekdami apeiti šiuos apribojimus, jie įsikūrė už Bartuvos upės – taip gimė atskira žydų gyvenvietė, vadinta Senuoju miestu (žydmiesčiu), o vėliau susiformavo ir Naujamiesčio bendruomenė. Per XIX a. žydų bendruomenė augo – 1847 m. mokestiniai įrašai liudija apie 1 872 žydų mokesčių mokėtojus, o 1897 m. žydų jau buvo 2 292 – apie 60 % visų Skuodo gyventojų. Nepaisant skirtingų socialinių sluoksnių ir net įtampos tarp senojo ir naujojo miesto gyventojų, žydų bendruomenė liko vieninga ir organizuota.

XX a. pradžioje dėl emigracijos į JAV, Pietų Afriką ir Palestiną žydų skaičius sumažėjo iki 1 310 (apie 30 %). Tarpukariu Skuodo žydai aktyviai dalyvavo miesto ekonominiame ir kultūriniame gyvenime: vertėsi amatais, smulkia gamyba, žemės ūkiu, transporto paslaugomis. Veikė sinagogos, religinės mokyklos, sporto klubai, bibliotekos, jaunimo organizacijos. Tarpukario Skuodas žydų akimis buvo gyvas štetlas – su savo turgaus aikšte, atskirais kvartalais, gatvėmis su medinėmis krautuvėmis, ritualinėmis pirtimis ir svečių priėmimo tradicijomis. Visa tai sunaikino Antrasis pasaulinis karas: per Holokaustą išžudyta beveik visa žydų bendruomenė – apie 1 100 žmonių. Žudynės vyko senosiose žydų kapinėse, prie dabartinių Pirmųjų Kulų kapinių, taip pat pakeliui į Dimitravo koncentracijos stovyklą.
Skuodo žydų kapinės buvo įkurtos XVIII a. miesto pakraštyje. Sovietmečiu jos buvo visiškai sunaikintos – antkapiai panaudoti kaip statybinės medžiagos. Pasak vietinių gyventojų, dar apie 1989 m. čia tebebuvo daug akmeninių paminklų, tačiau netrukus jie visi buvo pašalinti, o kapinių teritorija – sulyginta. Atkūrimo darbai pradėti apie 1991 m. išlikę šeši antkapiai įbetonuoti į išlietą šešiakampę žvaigždę, o dar 1990 m. pastatytas informacinis paminklas su įrašais lietuvių ir jidiš kalbomis.

Bendro vaizdo nuotraukos M. Jakulytės  2011 m. ir 2022 m.

Dokumentuotos 2024 m. Fotografavo Sergejus Kanovičius, vertė Joel Suldan

Mentioned in the list of LJC
Accurate location
Digitized
Gravestones
#
Surname
Name, Patronymic
Date of Birth
Date of Death
English Inscription
Original Inscription
Photo
1
Levite
Yehuda Leib son of Arieh
unknown
21 February 1898
no. 1

Here is buried
a simple and
upright man, our master our teacher
Yehuda Leib
son of Mr. Arieh the Levite
died 29 Shevat
of the year 5658
21 February 1898
no. 1

פ נ
איש תם
וישר מוה
יהודה ליב
ב'ר אריו הלוי
ונפטרה כט שבט
שנת תרנח
2
unknown
Leah daughter of Shulem
unknown
12 September 1883
no. 2

Here is buried
the woman Mrs.
Leah daughter of Mr. Shulem
died
10 Elul 5643
May her soul be bound in the bond of life

12 September 1883
no. 2

פ' נ'
האשה מרת
לאה ב'ר שולם
נפטרה
י אלול תרמג
ת'נ'צ'ב'ה'
3
Chiker
unknown
unknown
15 September 1928
no. 3

Chiker
died Shabbat the first day of Rosh Hashanah
of the year 5689
May his soul be bound in the bond of life

15 September 1928
no. 3

חאיכער
נפטר ש'ק א' ר'ה
שנת תרפט
תנצבה
Comments